Who can get child custody if the mother passes away? 1 Answers as of May 24, 2011

If the mother dies, how can her family (i.e. sister) be awarded custody of the child? Father is in and out of rehab for cocaine; arrested multiple times, etc, etc. He will not be put on birth certificate. What steps should we take to make this easier in the long run if mother dies. For example, a will stating who should be awarded custody? This is a very complicated case as mother is not in good health.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
The father is the natural parent and would get custody unless another person filed for custody or guardianship in Probate Court and proved the necessary criteria.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 5/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: