Who can find out that I've filed for bankruptcy? 14 Answers as of December 21, 2010

I am 28 years old and I am thinking about filing for bankruptcy but I'm really embarrassed about it. If I file for bankruptcy, does that become public information? Who will be able to find out?

DiManna Law Office, LLC.
DiManna Law Office, LLC. | Dawn DiManna
Your creditors will know, and anyone who wants to go on-line and pay the fee to search the bankruptcy court records.
It is public information and everybody is going to find out. Banks have employees that do nothing but keep track of who files. Most newspapers print who has filed in the legal news section.
Do not be embarrassed. 1 in 15 Americans file. It is a public record but one needs a PACER account to access the information. anyone can get a PACER account, but it is not common to do so.
Law Offices of Daniel A. Higson
Law Offices of Daniel A. Higson | Daniel A. Higson
While a bankruptcy is a matter of public record, a person usually will not hear about your bankruptcy unless you choose to tell them. In previous times a notice was published in the newspaper; however, if that happened today, that would be all the news we would see! So if you are thinking your friends/neighbors would find out, it is pretty much not likely unless they specifically went to the bankruptcy court and searched on your name.
A banruptcy filing becomes public information. Anyone that wants to find out can find out. However, access to the court filings requires a subscription to a database called PACER. While anyone can sign for access to that database, it requires the use of a credit card because they charge 8 cents per page. Therefore, most people can't look up things without signing up. However, there are many other ways to find out who has filed for bankruptcy. You should not be embarrassed by having to file for bankruptcy. It is a legal process established by Congress and authorized by the Constitution to allow people to have a fresh financial start in life. Some of the greatest people in this country have had to file for bankruptcy protection and some of the greatest corporations such as GM have discharged billions in bankruptcy. Reorganizing using Chapter 11 bankruptcy has become normal business strategy for corporations. Even the Bible provides in Deutoronomy that creditors are required to forgive debts every 7 years (Congress says 8 year in Chapter 7 cases). Banks cannot go bankrupt so they had to go beg the government for money to stay open. Otherwise, they too would have filed for bankruptcy and wiped out their creditors also. I am not saying you should be proud of having to file for bankruptcy but no need to lose sleep over it either. Hopefully your learned from your financial mistakes and will need to file for bankruptcy protection again. Good luck.
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
    Bankruptcy is a public record. It will appear in your credit report and possibly some local newspapers.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    It will show up on your credit report within about 24 hours.

There are also computer data bases like Lexis/Nexis that pick it up and anyone can search. (It is usually consulted by possible employers.) In some communities not so many any more it runs in the newspaper. You'd know if that's true where you are.

Keep in mind that your creditors getting a judgment against you will also show up on your credit report and Lexis/Nexis. And if you get garnished (unless you are in a state that doesn't allow wage garnishment) your employer will know.

Donald Trump's casinos not him personally as he has lawyers to keep him separate got rid of $1.3 billion in their most recent bankruptcy. How embarrassed does he look to you?
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
    It is public information and it can be located online at the bankruptcy court's website. But you really should not be terribly embarrassed by it, since so many people have had to file bankruptcy in these difficult economic times. Our local newspaper in Syracuse, New York prints a long list of bankruptcy filings, as do most newspapers. But these notices are a bit like legal notices and are read by only a few folk who want to see who filed bankruptcy. Almost everyone you know will be unaware that you filed bankruptcy.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Public info but one has to know where to look. Not on Google. Your employer friends or family should not find out unless you tell them.
    Law Offices of Lady Justice
    Law Offices of Lady Justice | Mona Patel
    No one. It stays on your credit report so no one will find out. Its not a public record.
    Filing a bankruptcy petition is part of the public record, but other than a few employers and credit companies, I cannot think of anyone who would be interested in obtaining that information randomly.
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi | Brian H. Nomi
    It is a public record, and anyone can find out about a bankruptcy filing. Whether anyone goes to research this or not is another matter.
    Yes, bankruptcy is a matter of public record. But someone would have to actually look for your case in the bankruptcy records to find out.