Which state law do we follow on an out of state accident? 1 Answers as of November 12, 2015

My son had an accident he scraped the side on a guardrail with my car which is registered under my name in another state. No one else was involved in the accident. He had my permission to drive the car. The adjuster rendered the car a cosmetic total loss and the other adjuster in another state is saying it is a total loss going by what the adjuster's notes. He wants to stamp my title as salvage which would make the car illegal to drive and hand me a check for $4,000 whereas the state was going to get my son a rental and fix the car which is what I want for my son. The adjuster looked at none of the facts and figures before he called me to bring my title to get stamped and get the check. If I get my title stamped salvage then my son would have no car since it is illegal to drive a salvaged car, so now I'm left with my hands tied to do nothing. Is there anything I could do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
Your auto policy likely gives the insurance company the choice to total your car if the repair costs more than the cars value. If not they can't. It depends on your policy. If it is stamped savage you can buy it for salvage value and fix it to get it back on the road per state motor vehicle department standards.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 11/12/2015
Click to View More Answers: