Which legal form should I use to protect my invention idea? 3 Answers as of December 02, 2010

I would like to know which form I would use to protect my idea, If I decided to talk with the marketing department of a company, (to sell my idea) instead of going the patent route to start. Thanks

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
You should try to at least file for a provisional patent to receive patent pending status and give yourself the option of filing for a utility patent within 12 months. Feel free to contact me for more information.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/2/2010
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Use a non disclosure or a confidentiality agreement.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 11/29/2010
Fish & Associates, PC
Fish & Associates, PC | Robert D. Fish
One can achieve some level of protection with a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), also sometimes called a Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA). There are many different versions of these, which vary on several points including the extent to which disclosed items need to be marked confidential at the time of disclosure, whether the limitations on disclosure are unilateral or bilateral, and whether there is any non-competition provision.

Note that many companies, especially larger companies, have their own NDAs that they want you to sign. Be very, very careful about signing anyone elses forms. Quite often the forms provided by target companies give them the right to do whatever they want with your ideas, and give you no protection whatsoever.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/29/2010
Click to View More Answers: