Where should I get married for immigration purposes? 14 Answers as of November 30, 2011

My fiancee and I plan to get married. Unfortunately, he has no legal documents in Greece because he overstayed as a tourist since May, 2011. I am a US citizen. Is it possible for me to marry him there or better to go to his homeland and get married there instead?

You can get married anywhere that you can legally get married. You need to inquire as to the residency requirements in whatever place you plan to marry. A marriage between a man and a woman, anywhere outside the US, as long as it is entered into legally based on the laws of that place, will be recognized as a valid marriage in the US for immigration purposes.
King & Ballow
King & Ballow | Bruce E. Buchanan
You should marry here if he came in w/ tourist visa and overstayed. After wedding, file I-130 and I-485. If go to Greece and marry, he won't be able to immediately return after wedding but will have to wait for approval of K-3 visa.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
You can marry him and get status for him here. Seek the help of a lawyer.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
For US immigration purposes, marriage in any country will be good.
Joseph Law Firm
Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
You will need to consult with a Greek family attorney or contact the Greek Embassy and also a family attorney in his home country to determine the legal requirements for marriage in those countries. Some countries have a physical residence requirement in order to get married there and will require a certain period of physical residence in the country.
    The answer to your question depends upon the requirements to marry in Greece. If he is required to have a valid immigration status to get married, then he would not be able to marry in Greece. The place of marriage is a personal choice the two of you must make depending upon what you wish to do and your eligibility to marry in the country of choice. However, it is important to note that if you intend to petition for your fianc to receive an immigrant visa, he will not be able to have his case processed in Greece. He will only be able to have his case processed in a country where he has lawful immigration status.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
    If he is in the US you should take care of everything here. If he overstayed for more than 6 months and he leaves he will be barred from returning for 3 years. You need to speak with and retain an immigration attorney, these are complicated issues.
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    For U.S. immigration purposes, it really doesn't matter where you enter into a marriage, so long as the marriage was valid and legal where it took place, and so long as it doesn't violate U.S. public policy (such as laws against bigamy, age limits, and, in some cases, marriages to close relatives.)
    It does not matter where you get married. Important is if your fiance does not have status in Greece, the US consulate will not entertain the visa.
    First, I hope you will not marry for immigration purposes because right off the bat, your marriage will not be in good faith and that is a requirement. Assuming you are doing it for the right reasons, then I say you can marry him anywhere you want but he will only get an immigrant visa from a place where he has a legal right to be, like his country of origin. It is a lot easier in your case. Good luck!
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
    It does not matter where you marry as long as it is legal in that country and the U.S.