Where should I file my auto accident injury claim and why? 24 Answers as of June 08, 2015

I was traveling on a highway when I was involved in an accident with an 18 wheeler. I currently live in one state and the other driver involved is from another. Which state would I have to pursue my claim in? Thank you.

Robinette Legal Group, PLLC
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC | Jeffery Robinette
Pursue your claim in the state in which the accident occurred. Find a National Board Certified trial attorney with a Super Lawyer rating in that state who specializes in accident injury law.
Answer Applies to: West Virginia
An accident case must be filed in the jurisdiction (state, county or country) where the accident happened (except for airplane crashes which have a specific law to control).
Nearly always the state where the accident occurred.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
In Michigan, tort venue is proper where the injury is first incurred. If the accident happened in Michigan, that?s your answer. If not, it depends upon other factors, including where the accident occurred, what laws apply there, etc. It would have to be discussed, as multiple factors could weigh into the determination.
You can pursue it from the state where the accident happened or where the driver resides or where the truck was licensed.
    The state where the accident happened.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    you should use legal counsel. But you should file the complaint in the state where the accident occurred
    Turn the matter over to your insurance company.
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC | Gregory S Shurman
    If you need to sue the case, it is usually in the state where the collision occurred.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    This is a "choice of laws" or "conflict of laws" question that will need to be answered by you having a consultation with a lawyer where you live that handles these type of cases. A # of factors go into which is the "right" forum in which to make your claim. It may be the location of the crash, or it may be where the defendant does business or is incorporated or where they have their main office. Sometimes it can be where you live or work. Sometimes you will have some or all of these choices and the question will be which jurisdiction is most "favorable" in relation to ease of travel for the parties and witnesses, or may have the "better" judges or juries, etc. It's also likely you could go to Federal Court, depending on whether it's jurisdictional requirements are met, which they may be, in part, by you and the defendant being from different states. So go see a lawyer with this question.
    Jules D'Alessandro | Jules D'Alessandro
    Accidents with 18 Wheelers are extremely difficult to Handle. In fact many personal injury lawyers who try to handle them like typical auto accidents are not handling them correctly. Trucking accident require specialized knowledge And ability to deal with large trucking companies. This is absolutely not a case that you can handle yourself if you Want to get fully compensated.
    Pettit Kohn Ingrassia Lutz
    Pettit Kohn Ingrassia Lutz | David Halm
    The answer as to where to file your lawsuit depends on state civil procedure and court rules. In California, the lawsuit is usually filed in the county where the injury occurred or where defendants or most of them reside. Your lawsuit should also include the owner of the vehicle as well as any other company such as the driver's employer who was involved with the vehicle or business regarding the vehicle's service. There are other issues such as personal jurisdiction which is whether a court has power to require defendants in another state to appear and answer in the court where the lawsuit is filed. You should immediately contact an attorney to discuss your case and determine where you should file your lawsuit if you choose to do so.
    The state in which the accident occurred. And don't even think of doing this without a lawyer.
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    You generally file the claim where the incident occurred . You can also file where the other driver or its company resides.
    The state in which the accident occurred under the legal axiom of lex loci delecti.
    Law Offices of Laura Lanzisera, LLC
    Law Offices of Laura Lanzisera, LLC | Laura Lanzisera
    The state where the injury occurred
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    You file in the state the crash occurred.
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    Retain a lawyer to help you with this. It is complex and most people will get screwed by the insurance company if they try and do it alone.