Where do we start on getting custody over our grandkids? 2 Answers as of September 18, 2017

Our daughter’s husband has been mentally and physically abusing our grandkids. He isn't their father. He has also been abusing our daughter. A few weeks ago, he abused her and our 6 year old grandson. He took off. There was a police report done. They even took pictures. Well our daughter has gone back to him. A few days later, she called and asked us to come and get the kids. We did she sign a paper giving my husband and I temporarily custody. She gave away her kids for a man that hits her.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
For grandparents that want custody of grandchildren it is imperative to obtain court Orders. When there is a case where the parents have signed an out-of-court document giving custody to a grandparent, there should be an application made to the court immediately the next day. An out-of-court agreement has absolutely no legal value. However, as evidence the document can usually be used to get a court Order. When you are dealing with children in court, competent legal representation should always be sought, as the subject matter of the litigation is so very important. One mistake here could cause the biggest adverse consequence of your life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/18/2017
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You need to immediately meet with and experienced family law attorney to assist you in seeking emergency guardianship orders.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/17/2017
Click to View More Answers: