Where do I go to patent a script idea? How? 4 Answers as of September 09, 2015

I need to patent a script idea. Where can I go to do that? How much will it cost? My teacher said it would only be $20 at most.

Patents are reserved for "useful items. Movie and TV scripts are "copyrighted." You can register a copyright at the U.S. Copyright Office in the Library of Congress.
Mark Torche | Mark Torche
You can't patent a script. Likely what you mean is you would like to register your script with the US Copyright Office. The current fee is $35.00. You already have the copyright but the process of registering your script gives you additional rights. The copyright office has a lot of helpful information at the official government site.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
For $20 you would need to file the idea with the copyright office. Here is the link http://www.copyright.gov/ You might want to consult/hire a copyright or IP attorney to review your particular idea to file the application it may run an additional $100 - $500.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
Your teacher is likely confusing copyright protection with patent protection. Copyright registration is inexpensive, but is more than $20. Visit the Copyright Office website - www.copyright.gov for current fees and registration requirements. Patent protection is not available for a script idea. Visit the Patent Office website - www.uspto.gov - for more information about protection of inventions by patenting. GOOD LUCK!