Where do I go to get legal child custody of my son? 10 Answers as of November 09, 2011

I have had my son since he was born. Where do I go to get legal custody of him? I'm looking for a cheap or free service to get legal custody documentation.

Law Office of James Bordonaro
Law Office of James Bordonaro | James Albert Bordonaro
Kansas Legal Services may help you or SRS will help if you ever had any medical payments or food stamp type benefits paid by the government or state. SRS generally only addresses child support but it's easy to add custody to the petition.
There is one place you go to get custody. It is called court. To navigate a court you need a lawyer. Disputes about custody tend to be expensive, but if custody matters to you, then you should not let that deter you.
You are free to represent yourself in filing and serving a petition for paternity and to follow proper timely submission of all required judicial council forms in accordance with California family law procedure and local rules.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
I'm not aware of any free/cheap service that deals with child custody in Washington.
ROWE LAW FIRM
ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
Check in your area for a Legal Services Corporation provider. These are non-profit law firms with grants from the federal Legal Services Corporation to provide legal services for the poor. You can also check with your local Bar Association, which may also have a pro bono legal services program, or be able to direct you to services.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You go to the Family Part at at the county courthouse in your county and file a complaint for custody.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    If you were never married to the father and he has not legitimated the child in court, then you already have sole legal and physical custody by operation of law; therefore, there is no action you need to or can take. If you are married to the father, then you need to file for divorce in order to obtain custody. If you were not married to the father and he did legitimate the child and there is a custody/visitation order in place, then you need to modify that order.
    The answer to what you must file, if anything, and where it is filed depends on your particular circumstances. There are few, if any, free services for such a matter. You may wish to consult with attorneys at Legal Aid Services.
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
    You can file a petition for custody in your local family court. Although the forms are available online, if your son's father decides to contest it, you may want to have an attorney present. The process can often times take a long time, and can be intimidating for someone new to the family court system.