Where do I go to get a copy of a visa? 11 Answers as of November 30, 2011

You recently mentioned in one of your answers that there is an address to get a copy of a visa. My sister lost her passport and her visa and she now needs to obtain a copy of her b1/b2 visa to adjust her status. Could you please tell me what is that address?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
There is not address where you can get a copy of the visa that is in your passport except to contact the Embassy where she originally got her visa and see if they will be able to issue some documentation showing that she did have a valid visa stamp. Also, she would need to have a valid proof of her entry to the US, which is not the visa but the I-94. If she does not have that (it's a white card typically stapled or placed into the passport upon entry to the US), she can submit a request for a duplicate to USCIS. This can usually only be done if the entry was not too long ago and if she has secondary evidence that will help to locate it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/30/2011
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
At the moment, until they change it, the Form I-102 and instructions are located at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=e5d95d4c6608e010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD That's bound to change in a few days. If it has changed already, go to www.uscis.gov and then click on the word 'FORMS', currently in the upper left hand corner, then scroll down to the form "I-102." I recommend getting the I-102 approved first, before filing for the green card. If she is marrying a USC, she can adjust in the USA. If not, then probably not, and she would have to leave the US to adjust, but if she has overstayed a year or more then she'd be subject to a 10 year bar upon leaving the US. HOWEVER, if someone filed a visa for her (or for her parent if she was a minor at the time) on or before April 30th, 2001, then she can adjust in the US even without an approved I-102, and even without a US citizen spouse.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 11/15/2011
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
There are several places to go. A FOIA request to immigration will get most information and a filing of an I-102 form will help with the I-94.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 11/15/2011
Joseph Law Firm
Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
I do not know where you would obtain a copy of the visa. However, she may be able to file a Freedom of Information Act Request with the Department of State to get any information related to the issuance of the visa. She can file the freedom of information act request on form G-639 which can be accessed on the USCIS website. www.uscis.gov. She will then need to file the form with the Department of State and will need to be very explicit about the information that she is requesting.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 11/15/2011
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
You must apply for a freedom of information act request and/or file Form I-102 (www.uscis.gov).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/15/2011
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    You can file a request for a replacement I-94. This will not be a replacement of the visa, but rather a replacement of her I-94, which will show lawful entry into the United States. You can find the form and instructions at www.uscis.gov. You must complete the form and provide as much information as possible regarding the individual and the manner of entry. You must also pay a filing fee. If for some reason you need a copy of her visa and visa application, you can file a Freedom of Information Act request.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 11/15/2011
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    Unless your sister can prove lawful admission through a copy of your passport, or I-94 Arrival/Departure Record card, she may need to secure documentation of lawful admission either through filing an I-102 form with the USCIS to replace a lost I-94 card, or file an Application for Records under the Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA") with the Customs and Border Protection ("CBP") office holding records for your sister's port of entry. Link to I-102 form: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176 543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=e5d95d4c6608e010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD&vgnextchann el=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD CBP FOIA Link: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/admin/fl/foia/
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 11/15/2011
    Kanu & Associates, P. C. | Solomon O. Kanu
    You file an I-102 with the service center where you live and you will get a copy of the I-94 which is evidence of legal entry.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 11/15/2011
    Cardenas Law Firm
    Cardenas Law Firm | Abraham Cardenas
    I am assuming that you are referring to a duplicate I-94 form. (The white card you fill out and get stamped when you enter the country.) You need to have your sister file out and file an I-102 form. The form and filing instructions are here. The form needs to be filed with a fee of $330. It takes about 1-2 months to get the replacement so get it started as soon as you can.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 11/15/2011
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
    A lost I-94 is one thing and a lost passport with visa stamp is another. To request a duplicate I-94, you apply with DHS. To request a duplicate visa, you fax the consulate abroad where you obtained the visa to report it lost but you must return there in person to obtain a new stamp.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: