Where do I find the forms for expunging a record in Louisiana? 2 Answers as of April 18, 2011

My husband was convicted of simple marijuana possession, and served 3 months probation. His original crime that he was charged for was intent to distribute and possession of a firearm while in possession of narcotics. They told us he was eligible to have his record expunged, but I have no idea how to start the process, or the cost. I'm capable of doing this myself, and we are tight on money, so I can't afford a lawyer. I just need to know how to obtain the proper documents.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
You should contact your local clerk of court who will be able to provide you with more information and assistance. Search your parish and 'clerk of court' and you should be able to get a phone number. While in the short term it may seem cheaper to file the forms yourself, there is a significant advantage to hiring an experienced attorney to handle an expungement for you to make sure that it is done properly. In some instances, your expungement will require signing off by the DA and other members of the court system which can make it complicated for a layperson to accomplish. If you are interested in having an attorney handle the expungement for you, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 4/18/2011
NOLA Criminal Law
NOLA Criminal Law | Townsend Myers
You can find expungement forms for most Louisiana parishes in the office of the Clerk of Court for the parish or jurisdiction where the criminal case was filed. You can save the cost of an attorney by filing the documents yourself. Remember that you will still need to pay the filing fees required by the court, as well as the state police fee to process the expungement. Generally speaking , these costs total around $500.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 4/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: