Where do I file for divorce if my spouse was deported and the marriage was never consummated? 8 Answers as of July 08, 2013

What is the easiest and fastest way to get a divorce to my spouse who is in an unknown location since he was deported in 1998 and the marriage was never consummated? Also I live in a different state from where I was married.

Contact a family law attorney in the state where you currently reside and they will advise you on the procedure for getting a divorce where the whereabouts of your spouse is unknown. In many cases you will try and serve him at his last known address and then publish your intent to file a divorce. You should also ask about annulment.
This question is better suited to a family law attorney as it will be governed by the state where you live, not immigration law.
If you live in NV, file here (come and see us for detailed discussion) or wherever else you live.
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
Any local family attorney can handle this since there are alternatives to providing personal notice.
You would be best advised to contact an attorney specializing in matrimonial and/or family law in the state where you live. Each state has different rules regarding jurisdiction to hear a divorce case and grounds for divorce and/or annulment.
    Wildes & Weinberg, P.C. | Leon Wildes
    You should file in thwe state where you reside and prove service on him by publicizing the case, (as a means of service of the divorce papers on him) in a newspaper. I am certain that every state has such a procedure.
    If the marriage was in fact never consummated, you may want to consider filing for an annulment. Where you were previously married is of little importance in determining where you should file for the annulment or divorce which should be in the appropriate court of the state where you now reside. If you can't find your spouse, you can seek the court's permission to publish notice of your legal action in a local newspaper for successive weeks which will serve as the required notice to the defendant.