Where do I divorce if I live in a different state than the one I was married in? 4 Answers as of June 17, 2011

My wife is a resident of nv, I am in the army & a resident of Georgia. We have never resided together before or after the marriage. Where do I file for divorce & can we get a divorce without either of us having to travel to a different state?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Goolsby Law Office
Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
Provided you meet Georgia's residency requirement, you should consult with a Georgia divorce lawyer about obtaining a simple, uncontested divorce here. We often handle military divorces in our divorce law practice. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/17/2011
Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
In Georgia, if the parties agree to an uncontested divorce, you can get divorced here as long as one of the parties has been a resident of the state for at least six months prior to the filing of the divorce. The non resident will have to sign a settlement agreement and sign a waiver of jurisdiction. With the execution of those two documents, the non resident will not have to show up to Court in Georgia.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/16/2011
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
If there are no children, you can file in Georgia if you have been a resident in Georgia for 6 months. If there is a child, the answer is the same if either ( A) the child is in Georgia or ( B) the case is uncontested. If there is a child, and the case is contested, and the child is in Nevada, the answer is Nevada.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/16/2011
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
If the divorce is uncontested - you have agreed on all of the issues that must be dealt with in your case and an attorney has prepared all of the necessary documents and they have been signed - you can file in the state in which you reside. If the divorce is contested - there is no agreement to be filed with the petition - you must file in the state in which your spouse lives.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: