Where can I find help with legal fees if I'm financially struggling? 16 Answers as of June 27, 2013

I wanted to get my case expunged and found out I can get it reduced to a misdemeanor but it is going to cost like 2000 that I don't have. I lost my job 8/17 that I've been on for 5yrs now I’m trying to find another one and because of this felony no one wants to hire me I’m trying to find someone that helps people in my situation in getting my case reduced.

You could try calling the Bar association of the county you live in they may have attorneys that will charge lower fees. They may also be able to put you in touch with a pro bono attorney (pro bono means no charge for legal services ).
If you plead guilty to a felony five years ago the case cannot be reduced to a misdemeanor and there is no expungement in the State of Alabama. You might want to contact the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Alabama, to see if there is anything that their attorney's could do to be of assistance.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
A lawyer would no more take on a case for free than the grocer give you groceries for free.
You can get an expungment in some states, but not New York. The fee is $2,000-$5,000 and you cannot get a public defender to handle the case.
In California the Public Defenders will help with expungments.
    I typically do expungement for about $500-600 in fees, unless it is an unusual problem case.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    You may be able to find an attorney who would work out a payment plan for you. However, most attorneys will want a retainer and you may have to borrow the money from family and/or friends.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Call the Nevada State bar and ask about their pro bono project.
    You can ask the local bar association to give you contact information for attorneys who will do this work for lower fees.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    You get a case expunged after you have been convicted and been crime free for so many years and the offense is one that can be expunged. To get a felony reduced to a misdemeanor you must have the prosecutor and then the court agree. Money. You can retain an attorney by finding one willing to take your case. If the case is pending you should qualify for a public defender.
    It may be difficult to find someone because this is no longer a criminal case, where jail time is a possibility. It is more "civil" in nature. Such being the case, there is no organization that offers free legal help.
    Have you been convicted already? You mention expungement. If it is a conviction and you are eligible, you can file your own petition to vacate and dismiss your case. If you are facing a felony, you may be able to plea bargain it to a misdemeanor.
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    WHAT is your case? Who told you $2000?
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    Some attorneys like myself will accept installment payments.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    NY does not expunge. If you already plead guilty to a felony what makes you think you can get that conviction reduced after the fact? I've never heard of that. Be careful you are not being ripped off.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    Expungment should not cost anywhere near $2k. the reduced to a misdemeanor makes no sense. Ask another attorney.