Where can I find the document that says I did reaffirm my house in the bankruptcy? 16 Answers as of November 07, 2014

What can I do if I had a chapter 7 bankruptcy two years ago and now I went to refinance my home and the bank is asking me a document where it says I did reaffirm my house in the bankruptcy.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor | Susan G. Taylor
Ask your attorney; he can access your documents or tell you how to retrieve them from archives. Perhaps even a docket sheet entry would suffice.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 11/7/2014
Joseph Lehn, Esq
Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
If you had attorney representation, you can contact the attorney to request the information. Alternatively, you can contact the judicial research department of the court where your case was filed and request that they provide a copy of the document you are requesting.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 10/28/2014
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Your attorney should have a copy, if you didn't use an attorney, there is a copy in the case record at the bankruptcy court. Call the clerk's office at bankruptcy court to discuss how to get a copy. If you didn't reaffirm, the bank isn't permitted to refinance you under the bankruptcy law but other lenders could refinance you.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/27/2014
Freeman Law Group, LLC
Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
The real question here is whether you actually reaffirmed the mortgage. If you were represented by an attorney, it is unlikely you signed a reaffirmation agreement because it is usually more advantageous not to. If you were not represented by an attorney in your bankruptcy, the court would have had to approve any reaffirmation agreement, which means you would have had to go to a hearing. If you didn't go to any court hearing, then you did not sign any reaffirmation agreement. Tell your bank that you didn't reaffirm.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 10/27/2014
The Law Office of M Grater LLC
The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
Can't help here. I know of no attorney who would reaffirm a debt on a mortgage. It would not make sense.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 10/23/2014
    Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
    Your attorney or the court should have a copy if you reaffirmed the debt. In many cases the mortgage debt is not reaffirmed.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/23/2014
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    All the documents are available at the courthouse. The odds are that you did not reaffirm the mortgage debt. Get a refinance from another lender.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/23/2014
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    If there was a reaffirmation of your house, you would remember it because you would have had to appear in front of a bankruptcy judge. The reaffirmation itself would be in the court file, and you can access the court file by registering with www.pacer.gov to review your records for a small fee. Most of the time, when the bank says it wants to see a reaffirmation, it is really saying they won?t lend to you no matter what. Find another lender and don?t waste your time with the one imposing this requirement.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/23/2014
    GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
    All those documents are part of the Court file. Call the Bankruptcy Court and ask for a copy of your file. For a fee they will provide you with copies of your entire file. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 10/23/2014
    Barnhart Law Office
    Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
    If a reaffirmation agreement was approved by the bankruptcy court, the agreement can be found at the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court offices.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 10/23/2014
    Hayward, Parker, O'Leary & Pinsky, Esqs.
    Hayward, Parker, O'Leary & Pinsky, Esqs. | Michael O'Leary
    If you filed a Reaffirmation Agreement in your bankruptcy it would be so indicated on your on-line Court docket, which anyone with a PACER password can access.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/23/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney