When will I be able to get a property under my name if I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy? 18 Answers as of March 21, 2014

How long after filing chapter 7 bankruptcy can I have a land in my name. I filed 2 years ago, can I put a land in my name.

Joseph Lehn, Esq
Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
Confirm that your bankruptcy case is closed. If so, there is no issue you with you having land or any other property in your name.
The issue isn't how soon after you file a bankruptcy can you put real estate in your name. The issue is when did you obtain the legal right to do this and where the money came from. If you are purchasing real estate with money you earned after you filed bankruptcy, the bankruptcy isn't an issue. But if something else is going on, you will want to have a follow up consultation with your bankruptcy attorney to be sure you don't have any problems.
Sure, there is nothing preventing you from doing so.
As soon as you receive a discharge.
Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
Yes, you can put property in your name, as long as you have been discharged, and it isn't property that you had and omitted to tell the trustee about. Many people buy land contracts and homes after filing bankruptcy. They just get their credit rebuilt so they can get the financing. Good luck!
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin | Eric W. I. Anglin
    The bankruptcy discharge does not prevent you from owning property.
    There is no official rule on this. It is to a lender if they want to finance a purchase.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    There is no rule against you owning property of any kind. Once your discharge is final, you can purchase real or personal property and title it in your name.
    Philip C. Gutworth, P.A. | Philip C. Gutworth
    Assuming you have received a discharge in your Chapter 7 petition and the case was closed, there is nothing preventing you from obtaining title to real estate; the problem may arise if you want to get financing at a competitive rate.
    Law Office of Shawn N. Wright | Shawn N. Wright
    You can acquire new property immediately after your bankruptcy case has been discharged. I think that you have a number of sub-questions though that I would like to answer. If you are worried about the Bankruptcy Court or Trustee coming back after property that you may have acquired after the bankruptcy, I don't think you should be worried about that. Let's say that you come into a windfall property (like winning the Lottery). If you win $6 million within 180 days of filing your Chapter 7 bankruptcy case, then you would have to report your lottery winnings to your Trustee, who would then take some of the money to pay off your creditors. But if you win the same $6 million 6 months and one day after the case filing, then you no longer have that legal duty to report the winnings. In your question, you ask about 2 years, so I don't see how that would be a problem. The second question that many people have however is how long it will take to purchase property (through credit) after a bankruptcy. We typically see that it takes two years from the date of your discharge order (case closure) to rebuild your credit sufficiently to get a home mortgage loan. And many people right now are getting good loan rates even after having filed bankruptcy.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    You can do it immediately after filing.
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
    You are free to own property right after you file your Chapter 7 case. If you are going to buy real estate, it usually takes about 2 years after your discharge before you will become eligible for a mortgage.