When they count your income do they count after expenses, mileage, business expenses and all that? 12 Answers as of September 05, 2013

We may have to do a bankruptcy being my husband was hospitalized for a long period of time. He has no job but I make quite a lot and get 1099s. My income would be way under $65.000 after expenses is deducted.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
You will have to document your expenses in order to deduct them from your gross income.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/5/2013
Colorado Legal Solutions
Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
You need to consult with an experienced attorney. Some of the expenses can be deducted. It is likely that some cannot.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/28/2013
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
The "means tests" is a tricky thing. You should have a lawyer do this (one who knows what he or she is doing). There are deductions, and some are not so obvious.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/27/2013
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
You list your gross income on Part II and expenses on Part III.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/27/2013
Goldsmith & Guymon
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
The income for the means test is based on gross income; however, you are allowed to deduct items from that amount in determining eligibility. I highly recommend you retain an attorney to help you do this analysis as it is a bit complex.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/27/2013
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    If you are talking about the Chapter 7 Means test, there are offsets and exemptions that an experienced bankruptcy attorney knows how to employ, however the trustee is looking at your gross annual income over the last six months. There is much more to it than that, but you will need an experienced bankruptcy attorney to handle this matter.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 8/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney