When should I file for a divorce? 1 Answers as of April 20, 2011

My wife of 9 years is a recovering drug and alcohol addict in the last 2 years, has overdosed and been to the ER. She was fired by the hospital because she was observed stealing and taking meds. She has voluntarily surrendered her nursing license and this month was arrested for felony forgery in the second degree on 4 counts. My 3 kids (3,5,&7) and I deserve better. I'm a retired law enforcement agent on accidental disability pension. I am back working part time to make up for my wife’s loss of income. I've been supportive, got her into in-patient rehab, out-patient rehab and have secured her an attorney for her pending legal matter. Is now a good time to file for divorce? I want custody of our kids, she agrees and wants what’s best for the kids and I. Do I have any chance of keeping custody, pension, home, etc? My wife needs time to get well and be part of their lives once clean and sober.

You certainly have reason to retain custody. As far as monetary issues, the court will not leave her destitute but will also recognize your need to care for the kids. If you wish to discuss further please let us know. We have a free hour consultation and distribute information that you can keep. Best of luck through this difficult situation.