When she passes, is my wife to be held responsible for the windows installed as a gift? 6 Answers as of April 30, 2014

My mother-in-law had new windows installed in my wife’s house as a gift roughly a year ago. She is 92 and in hospice as of this time. They were installed on a payment plan and there is still $6000.00 owed on the windows. My wife was not named nor did she sign anything.

They could file a mechanics lien against the house but if not, then she should not be held liable.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
I would not think so.
I would like to look at the contract before I would render any opinion. Generally such contracts are secured by either the windows which have been installed to a lien against the house.
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
That depends on whether or not there is a chattel lien for the windows and no mechanic's lien for the installation. If there is either, you may have to pay. However, if your mother left an estate, her estate may be liable for the remainder of the bill.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
There is certainly no personal obligation. Only the mother in law and her estate are liable on the debt. The only potential problem is if the contract purports to give a security interest in the windows to the creditor, or if a mechanic's lien is filed.