When my son goes to juvenile court for theft and possession what will he encounter? 1 Answers as of April 13, 2011

My son was charged with petty theft and possession of marijuana. He only had a small amount on him. What will he have to encounter if he is 17 and has to go to court? His arrest happened in January.

Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
It will depend upon the specifics of the case but as a general rule, if convicted the following penalties would apply:

Marijuana possession:
-Jail time of up to 6 months
-Fines of up to $500
(This will also depend upon the city in which he was arrested. In New
Orleans, possession of small amounts of marijuana has been reclassified as a
ticketable municipal offense)

Petty Theft:
-Jail time of up to 6 months
-Fines of up to $1000

If these are your son's first charges then it is quite possible that he may be able to receive reduced, suspended, or dismissed charges and sentencing in return for probation, community service or other diversion programs. Every case is different and it would require knowledge of the specific events involved in your son's arrest and charges to make a definite call. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm today at the information on this page for a free case evaluation to determine whether or not we would be able to assist you.