When it is someone's second offense and they stole from Wal-Mart for under the amount of $100 will they go to jail? 15 Answers as of November 24, 2012

Probably not.
That depends on the judge but many of them give sometime in jail since the person did not learn the first time.
It is unusual and unlikely to go to jail for shoplifting, even for a second offense. Although it is possible and within the law. You may be eligible for a diversion program or probation is a more likely outcome.
A second shoplifting offense could be charged as a felony with a possible jail sentence of 16 months to 3 years. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
Deferral. You are looking at a misdemeanor charge of theft in the fourth degree. That carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail. You will not likely get sentenced to jail but that is not certain since this is your second time. There are some legal mechanisms that will allow you to keep this conviction off your record. This is a significant opportunity you should not pass up. You will need a lawyer to have the best chance to keep the conviction off your record and know all the rights and problems with this course of action. This is one of my areas of practice and can help you with this case if you desire. I hope this helps you sort your legal situation out.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Probably not, however, each court handles penalties differently, and I would not suggest proceeding with the case without benefit of counsel.
    If I was sitting as judge, I would order jail time because you obviously have not learned from the first case and are still stealing.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    The person could possibly go to jail - but jail time is not mandatory until the 3rd offense.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Perhaps, but it is not likely depending upon the attorney you hire to handle the criminal case.
    Most definitely. Petty theft with a prior can be filed as a felony.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    That depends on a lot of things. Petty theft with a prior can be treated as a felony. If you're still on probation for your first theft, you could have your probation revoked, which could result in jail time. You might also be accused of commercial burglary, which may result in prison time. It's impossible to guess what will happen without a lot more info. Sounds like you should invest in a lawyer.