When I hire an attorney in the state for my case what should I look for? 40 Answers as of September 09, 2015

If I need a lawyer, what do I look for? What is the best thing to look in an attorney?

Experience in the area of your suit.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Two things, primarily: 1) concentration in the area that your matter involves (for example, personal injury, patent law, criminal law, etc.), and 2) accolades in that area (naming to best lawyers lists, etc.). Both can be ascertained by reviewing the attorney's website.
Experience. If the lawyer only files chapter 7 cases I would be wary. That lawyer does not have a full range of knowledge to give you the best advice. If you are looking for another type of lawyer, again it is experience. Have they handled type of case before? I would not be too keen on hiring one who had to "do research" before giving me an opinion. Research into the facts is a good sign. I'm also not impressed by expensive suits or offices. You will be paying for them.
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
We are tax attorneys in Illinois. Check out our website.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
You need an attorney who understands the law, can explain it to you and is experienced enough to do all that has to be done on your behalf. A good attorney is never adverse to settling if it is in the client's best interests; but is never afraid to go to trial, if that what is necessary to protect the client. A good attorney will tell the client what he/she/they have to hear, not what they want to hear. I could go on, but, in the end, after all of the above, especially in the divorce/family law area, it has to be an attorney who you feel comfortable with.
    KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
    I would ask for references for work similar to that which your are hiring for.
    There are no set rules on how to hire an attorney. The best way to find an attorney is through a referral from a friend or relative. Otherwise, look through the yellow pages or google "criminal attorney", "family law attorney", etc. with your city and state. You can also search the following websites: www.AVVO.com www.lawyers.com www.attorneys.com www.findlaw.com Interview as many attorneys as you can and go with the one you feel most comfortable with and can afford.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
    In Maryland, when hiring an attorney one may want to inquire about the attorney's background, area(s) of expertise/experience, years of experience, references/recommendations from clients, fee structure, consultation options, history of discipline, etc. A potential client deciding whether to engage an attorney should probably look for whatever qualities are important to the client - experience, cost, comfort, gut feeling, etc.
    Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
    Do some research re experience in the area of practice that you require.
    Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
    First, proficiency and/or education in the area of law and subject matter that relates to your case, second, ability to connect with you and a track record of satisfied clients and/or outcome success, third, courtesy and communication skills, and, of course, integrity. Good luck.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    I suggest you contact the Bar in the state in which you need the attorney. See whether or not the attorney is an active member of the bar. You may also want to look to see if the attorney has expertise in the area you wish to hire him/her for. Get recommendations from friends or family that is in the area that may be familiar with attorneys in the area. The state may also post whether or not the attorney has been disciplined by the bar (although I doubt it).
    1. See if he is Av rated by Martindale-Hubbel (the highest rating). 2. Go to the State Bar website to see if he has had disciplinary problems, and when he/she was admitted. 3. Make sure he/she specializes in injury cases. 4. Ask for referrals.
    Ask yourself 3 things: - Will this lawyer actually be the one representing you? Or does this lawyer simply pass the case off to "one" of the associates. - Does this lawyer specialize in the area where you need representation? Or does this lawyer take whatever walks in the door? -Is the quoted fee the "actual" fee that you will be paying? Or are there plenty of hidden fees that will hit you when you don?t simply plead guilty?
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Research him on AVVO.COM OR Martindale and hubble You want experience and good results and good reviews.
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    Good Question. Best Things to look in an attorney: 1. Attorney understands your case 2. Attorney is a good Communicator 3. Attorney Cares 4. Attorney has experience and knowledge in the subject matter. 5. Ability to fight for your cause UNDERSTANDS, COMMUNICATES, CARES, KNOWS/EXPERIENCED & FIGHTS You are the sole Judge of all these qualities. So look for it in your prospective attorney. Good Luck.
    WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
    One that knows the area of law, and you feel comfortable with.
    Client reviews and the respect of other attorneys are my top priorities, but if the attorney is not compassionate and is a jerk, that would not be someone I would trust with my important legal business.
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    Responsive,knowledgeable and caring.
    A good reputation in the community for doing the kind of legal work you need. Advertising should not usually play much of a role in the choice. Good Luck.
    Word of mouth is usually the best way to find a lawyer. Ask relatives and friends you have known who have had to get lawyers for their recommendation. Good luck.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Look for an attorney who is Certified in the field of your matter. i.e. Divorce - look for an attorney who is a Certified Family Law Attorney. If there is no Certification available in that particular field, look for an attorney who specializes in that field. Good luck.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    That is a complex question. Look for experience in the area of law you have an issue in. I quite about ratings and good standing with the state bar. You can check into discipline at the State Bar.
    Your are captain of your ship. The attorney is your engineer. The engineer and captain must effectively communicate with each other to accomplish the objectives of moving forward on resolving the family law issues.
    Experience within the family court system, at least 10 years handling a number of family court issues, also beware of the one's that tell you everything YOU want to hear.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    First, your lawyer must have experience in the specific area that you need help with. Then, when you visit with the attorney you should feel comfortable with him or her and their paralegal, as you'll have to deal with each other for months, if not years.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
    It can be challenging to confidently select an attorney in a specialized area of legal practice.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    My opinion is the best thing you can look for is an attorney you can afford and an attorney you are comfortable with.
    Gerald R. Black, Esq.
    Gerald R. Black, Esq. | Gerald R. Black
    One of the best ways to assess an attorney's legal ability is by interviewing the attorney. Most attorneys will provide an initial consultation (usually an hour or less) at no charge. After meeting with the attorney, ask yourself * Is the attorney's experience and background compatible with your legal needs? * Did the attorney provide prompt and courteous responses to your questions? * Is the attorney someone with whom I would be comfortable working? * Are you confident that the attorney possesses the skills and experience to handle the matter? * Are you comfortable with the terms of the fee agreement and/or representation agreement? Good luck!
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    Look for a lawyer who both understands the law and listens to you to determine what it is that you're looking for by way of an outcome.
    Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
    First, someone that you will be comfortable working with. Second, someone who has handled your type of case before - successfully.
    Picking a lawyer is like picking a spouse. If you do not get along, it will be a miserable relationship. You want someone who is smart, and is wise, and has "people skills," and who will communicate with you. for you, it is the biggest case in the world, but for the lawyer, it is just another case, so you have to be reasonable and realistic. You want someone who is experienced in the type of case for which you hired him/her.
    Law Offices of Robert H. Glorch | Jeffrey R. Gottlieb
    This question is far too general to handle, but at a minimum make sure: 1. The attorney regularly practices in the area of law you need; and 2. That you are comfortably working with the attorney.
    Lawyer for Independent Media
    Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
    Look for an attorney who practices law in the field of law in which you need help. You wrote "my case," so I assume you are involved in a lawsuit or a criminal case. The vast majority of lawyers do not involve themselves with going in to court. So you must find a lawyer who does that. If it is a criminal case, you are looking for a defense lawyer. You will want a lawyer that is experienced in the area of law of the case for example, traffic, DUI, drugs, violent crime, computer crime, money crime which is known as White Collar crime. If it is a lawsuit, that is a civil case. Find a lawyer who conducts lawsuits in the area of law in which you need help. When looking at a lawyer for a lawsuit, do not look at which lawyers have won the best of the most, but look for lawyers who have settled the cases quickly and reasonably. Once you have the right kind of lawyer, look at location, price, attitude. Contact a few of them. Lawyers are not allowed to give advice to non-clients, but they can give you a general idea of if they are interested, how much it would cost, and how they would approach the situation. Remember, you do not need the moon and stars if all you are planning is a trip around the block. If you think you have found the right lawyer, wait at least a day before signing on to see if you still feel that way. Another thing to keep in mind is that lawyers choose their clients. A lawyer may invite you to be their client, or they may suggest you look elsewhere. If a lawyer says they cannot take you on as a client, do not feel insulted. The lawyer has to take many things into consideration, including time, other clients, their skill at a given task, their future plans and schedule, and many other factors.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Check for an AVVO rating and reviews, Then you should talk to the attorney and make sure that you are able to communicate effectively.
    R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
    The most important thing is to find someone you feel comfortable with. Here are a few considerations: 1. When you call the office do you speak with the attorney or a paralegal or receptionist? 2. Does the attorney return your call within 24 hours (preferably within 4 hours)? 3. What does the fee include? Are there things that are common to most bankruptcies that are not included in the fee? Will the attorney tell you what is included and what is common? 4. How long has the attorney been practicing bankruptcy law? 5. Have you looked at the attorney's website? Does it look professional to you? 6. Is the attorney willing to explain your options fully to you, including alternatives to bankruptcy?
    Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
    You need someone who works in and has experience in handling tax matters and tax appeals. You can ask the person that question, check their web site, or seek referrals from tax advisors or tax preparers. Not all attorneys handle tax matters, and special expertise in tax issues is necessary to properly handle a tax matter. At least, that's my opinion.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    Me! Just kidding. I have 30 years experience in Family law in three states including Maryland. You should look for someone who practices in the county where you reside-so they know the court personnel and procedures, and someone with a lot of experience in family law who you feel believes in your case.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    If you're concerned, contact the Oregon State Bar. OSB has an attorney referral program; you can get the names of two or three lawyers in your area who do the kind of work you need done. When they sign up for the program, the lawyers agree to offer an initial consultation at a very small fee, about $35 or $40, I think. So you can talk to a couple of lawyers and see who seems to have knowledge of what you need done, interest in your case. And, frankly, you're looking for someone you are comfortable working with.
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
    Attorneys handle different specialties. Depending upon the case being civil or criminal your needs may be different. Attorneys for intellectual property and entertainment are also specialties. You need to ask what percentage of their cases are for your type of legal matter. You should also meet with the attorney that will be handling your case. Remember you are giving them a fair amount of money you want someone you can relate to and will answers your questions acceptably.
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    The number of years in practice. The experience level of the attorney in the area that you are seeking representation. The number of cases they handled and the outcome. Whether or not the attorney is a solo practitioner or with a firm. If you can research the attorney on the State's bar site, to view whether or not they have been disciplined by the State Bar.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney