When I file bankruptcy, will I have to prove I have money saved since I haven't been paying my mortgage? 7 Answers as of April 22, 2015

I haven't paid my mortgage payment and am filing for bankruptcy I have not left the home yet. On schedule I put an estimate of what rent will be once I move out.

There is no requirement that you have any savings to file bankruptcy. In fact, most people who file have little or no savings. The expenses that you report should include estimates for future monthly expenses that are reasonable in amount and expected to occur. There is a section of the petition for expected changes in expenses.
See your attorney, and generally your budget is prospective, not historical in nature.
Schedule I is for current monthly expenses and that indicates expenses you currently are paying. If you aren't paying for housing, you can't claim a housing expense on Schedule I.
You are only responsible for listing accurately what your assets are when you file. Estimated rent is OK. Show it as "estimated".
You cant put your future rent, it has to be actual rent paid. Your arrears is used to pass the means test but your schedule I should be actual payment.
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    No, you don't have to save up the payment you would have paid for a mortgage. In fact, that would hurt you in Idaho. Schedule I and J are the budget moving forward and anticipated changes. Your rent addition is likely correct. If you want to keep the home and cure the arrearage, you will need to file a Chapter 13 though. Unless you have resigned to giving up your home.
    You won't have to prove that you have money saved unless your papers are so open to doubt that a creditor or trustee will want to do a thorough inquiry and that is rare. If you are doing a Ch. 13, however, someone at the Meeting of Creditors may well ask how you can manage to make plan payments if you have not been paying your mortgage (since that is generally the highest priority in payment). Of course, on your papers you will have to disclose all your assets and debts, including of course savings. Depending on how much you have saved, you may or may not be able to exempt all of it. You would do yourself a favour by retaining an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. Good Luck.