When I divorce my husband can I ask for him to pay the debt? 3 Answers as of May 10, 2011

My husband abandoned me. He stole my credit cards and put me into debt. He has not paid any child support and has been gone since 2005. When I divorce would it be unreasonable to ask the judge to make my ex pay all the debt and back child support? I am low income. Do lawyers charge a lot for an uncontested divorce?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
In Washington State, the Court divides the assets/debts "fairly and equitably." A child support obligation does not begin until a petition for dissolution is filed. As to costs, it all depends.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/10/2011
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
A lot will depend on the specific circumstances, but there may well be a basis to ask that your husband be required to pay both back support and the debts that he ran up after separation. Rates vary between lawyers, but certainly it is less expensive if the two of you are able to come to an agreement on the terms of the divorce. On the other hand, you would want to consult with an attorney to make sure that the terms you are considering agreeing to are reasonable.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/10/2011
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
The property and debt division is determined by weighing many factors. Given the limited facts you presented, what you propose is not unreasonable when it comes to debt. For support, you are losing support every month you wait to file. I charge $750plus the filing fee for a trully uncontested agreed divorce. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: