When I can apply for my citizenship? 2 Answers as of June 23, 2011

I am a Fulbright scholar, I moved to United States in August 2009 on a J-1 Visa, and I met my wife and we got married. We applied for I-130 and we have been approved. Because I was subject for the two years home requirement, my wife and I applied to wave the TWO YEARS under the no objection litter (which I got it from my country), and we got denied. Before my visa expired, we applied for an F1 Visa and I got denied, and the US government gave me 30 days to leave the country. I left the US before my 30 days were over, and I went back home to Egypt. After that my wife came to Egypt, and we are now living together, my questions are: Is my immigration situation going to create any problems if I try to go back to USA? When can my wife and I apply for my citizenship? Do we have to wait for the two years and then apply?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
The reason for denial should guide you as to the next steps you need to take in order to turn that denial into an approval. I don't know if your wife is a USC, but if she is, there is usually no way that you will not be allowed to come back with your USC wife at some point. Waiting the 2-year J-1 visa requirement in your case is wise, barring other reasons for the denial. I wish you well.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/23/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
First you need to make sure that CIS has forwarded your approved I-130 to national visa center(NVC). The approval notice should state if the case has been transferred to NVC.When your wife applied for you, she must indicate that you will apply for immigrant visa in your home country. Otherwise, USCIS will keep the file and you will never receive anything from NVC and the American Consulate. If CIS keeps the file, your wife must file I-824 to notify NVC. Secondly,the immigrant visa application may start before you fulfill the two year residence requirement but you should time your schedule so you will not be interviewed for the visa before the two year anniversary.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: