When filling the N400 form, do I go by the officer’s mistake or write the 174 days? 2 Answers as of April 16, 2015

Within the 5 years, the total number of days I have stayed outside the US is 277 days in 4 trips. My recent trip which is my longest lasted 174 days (from Oct 16 - April 9) after being laid off from work. I just noticed that upon entry, the officer wrote in my passport out 6 months which in reality is less than 180 days when counted. My passport has the entry stamp with dates of the countries visited as well as return to the US. What do I do? Should I gather some evidence to this regard or make copies of the stamped pages in the passport and attach to application?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
An applicant must insert only accurate information in the Form N-400 Application for Naturalization. If your October 16, 2014 trip lasted for 174 days, then that is the information you should insert. I am not certain that I understand your comment about six months being less than 180 days, but regardless of that detail, you were deemed "admissible" when you re-entered the U.S. It would be wise, nonetheless, to provide documentary evidence showing that you continued to maintain your residence in the U.S. notwithstanding your long absence. It also would be wise to work with an immigration attorney to help you properly prepare the application and all useful supporting documents, and to represent you in the naturalization application process. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge. [Note: This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/16/2015
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You already have the evidence that you stayed less than 6 months. So, answer it with the correct information contained in the passport itself.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2015
Click to View More Answers: