When do the police have to charge me with the DWI by? 3 Answers as of April 18, 2011

I was arrested for a DWI about 2 weeks ago. I was drinking in Nassau while I was with my brother. When will I find out what I was charged with? When do the police have to charge me with the DWI by?

The prosecutor can file the charges any time within the statute of limitations which is most likely 1 year or more. You will find out the exact charges after the papers are filed and you are given a court date to appear. You should hire an attorney.
The statute of limitations for charging you with a Misdemeanor is 2 years from the date of incident. So the police can charge you with it any time during that period. They also have to be ready for trial within 30 days of charging you. Its always best to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer who practices in Nassau County to represent you in that specific court. DWIs in Nassau are handled much more stringently than in any other county in New York State, so you need good counsel to fight the DA for you. You may still have a chance to win. Good luck.
If you were arrested for DWI you probably got a DAT or "desk appearance ticket". When you go to court the judge will tell you the charges and you should bring an experienced criminal attorney to your arraignment unless you are unable to afford one. If you are indigent the court will appoint an attorney or Legal Aid will represent you. If you need an attorney call me for a free consultation.