When do I know if I was charged with a DUI? 9 Answers as of August 27, 2015

Two weeks ago, I was arrested for a DUI. When do I find out what my official charge is? Do the have a certain time they have to charge me by?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Your official charge is DUI, what else do you need to know.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/27/2015
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
In Florida the States Attorney has two years to file a formal charge.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/26/2015
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
If you were charged with a DUI, you should have received a citation or notice to appear in court. The date showing on the citation is the date when you should appear in court. At that time you will know exactly what you are being charged with.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2015
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
Usually you receive paper work in the mail called a summons and complaint. Call an attorney as soon as you get charged.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 8/25/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You should engage an attorney both for your defense and to assist you in finding out what your current status is. It is not unusual for there to be a delay between the time of the arrest and charging as the matter is commonly referred to in the prosecutor for that determination. Do not speak to the police or any authorities without at least being counseled by an attorney, or more preferably with an attorney present.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/25/2015
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    They have up to 2 years to charge you. It never goes that long; however, I have had cases where several months have passed before a case was filed.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You need to hire a DUI specialist, and do it soon because you have only 10 days to save your license.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    This sounds odd. They arrested you, but have not given you a citation or a criminal complaint? Not the way it's done in the places where I have practised law. Why not call the prosecutor and ask if they have drafted a complaint, and to be sure to provide you with a copy? Or if that idea fazes you, you might call the Clerk of Courts for the County in which you were arrested, and ask for a copy of the complaint.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    If you got a citation (ticket) it has a date to appear at court on it. That's when you'll know. If the cop took your license, you need to call the local dmv driver safety office within 10 days or your license will be suspended.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/25/2015
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!