When do I have to leave the country if I have a J1 visa that expires on September 2? 2 Answers as of April 23, 2015

I'm from England and I have recently received my J1 Visa for the Camp Counselor program this summer. I am working until 8th August 2015 however, my DS2019 form incorrectly stated that I am only working until the 2nd August 2015. My visa therefore has an expiration date of second September and I assume this is inclusive of the 30 grace period after the end of my work program. I have already booked my flight home on the 7th September, on the basis that I would have a 30 day grace period commencing after the 8th August. However, as my visa expires on 2nd September, could you please confirm whether this is the last day I am allowed to stay in the United States? My program sponsor has told me that I will have a further 30 days after the expiry date on my J1 visa, however I don't believe this is the case.

If I were you, I would book my flight to leave the United States on or before September 2nd. Why chance it? Since your visa will be expiring on September 2nd, you are correct to assume that USCIS included the 30 day grace period in your j-1 visa. That may or may not be the case, but what hi recommending is that you err on the side of caution rather than chance anything that may jeopardize your return to the United States.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Meet with an attorney to show your documents.