When chapter 7 trustee get served with motion, does he keep a copy of that motion on his file and if yes, for how long? 12 Answers as of June 04, 2014

David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law | David R. Fondren
Attorneys keep files for 10 years before we can destroy them.
Yes and I have no idea how long.
Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP
Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP | Robert M. Gardner, Jr.
A motion would be filed with the court, and a copy would be on file there. A trustee would normally keep a copy of any documents filed in a case he or she were handling. As to how long, federal rules require 4 years, whereas state bar rules may require 7.
Any papers you file with the Bankruptcy Court will be stored indefinitely into the future. I am "guessing" that Chapter 7 Trustee must maintain copies of their files for up to six years. But given today's technology, I would assume those files are backed up and kept for a long, long time.
We all receive motions electronically. They are available forever on PACER (public access).
    I would doubt anyone working in the bankruptcy court environment retains paper documents for longer than 6 months because paper is too expensive to store and organize. Electronic files can be retained virtually forever.
    The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
    How long the trustee will keep paperwork depends on his or her own record keeping policies. However, the bankruptcy court will have the motion on file indefinitely. If getting a copy of document filed with the court is your objective, contact the court.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Most don't keep a physical copy any more, they keep the electronic copy. Th bankruptcy clerk's office has the back to the late 90's if you need a copy.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A. | Jane Downey
    You can access pleadings online at the PACER website.
    All motions are stored on the electronic case filing system for bankruptcy motions.
    John Ceci PLLC
    John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
    I do not know how long bankruptcy trustee's keep motions in their files. Bankruptcy is mostly handled via e-filing now so it is possible they don't keep physical copies of any filed once a given case is closed. Or maybe they keep electronic records. If you are trying to get a copy of a document, you should be able to access your file via PACER. Or you could call the clerk's office and see if you can have a paper copy mailed.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    If the motion is properly filed with the court, there will be a record of it for many years. The motion must be filed with the court to be an actual motion and also there are other requirements to be met when filing a motion.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas