When can we file abandonment charges? How? 4 Answers as of September 08, 2015

How long before we can file abandonment charges after the primary custodial parent leaves the minor child with the secondary custodial parent?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
One year.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/8/2015
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
There is no such thing as "abandonment charges." What is it that you're actually trying to do?
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/7/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
The terminology of abandonment is not a correct legal description of what's transpiring.. If the noncustodial parent is in possession of the child and the custodial parent does not intend to retrieve the child, then the noncustodial parent should immediately going to court and ask for a custody change.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/7/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You are likely thinking of a petition for termination of parental rights. 6 months of failing to contact the child without a good reason, or failing to contact the other person with whom the child is placed. Prevailing on such a petition may not be easy.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/7/2015
Click to View More Answers: