When can I get rid or sell the items and what should I do about his truck after he moved out? 1 Answers as of September 30, 2014

My husband and I allowed our son’s friend to leave with us for a minimal amount ($200) a month. He started schooling and was moving out to an apartment on September 22, 2014. He has left behind a computer, other personal items as well an old truck. I have contacted him several times as to when he will be coming to get his items. I said he wasn't sure but soon. He stopped by our home to get something out of his truck and my son had asked him when he was going to get his truck and other things. His response was I don't have time to do it. I want them out of my house and the truck off our property.

Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
You will want to carefully review RCW 59.18.310 and comply with all of its provisions. You will want to provide a notice of abandonment. If the value of the property is greater than $250, you have to store it for 45 days and the tenant cannot get it back without requesting it in writing and paying the storage fees. The notice must be sent to the last known address. If you know where he is at, and can personally serve him, that would be preferable. The notice must include the name and address of the landlord and where the property is being stored and the date expected for sale or disposal. More notice is always better. If he does not retrieve his belongings after 45 days of receiving the notice, then you may sell or dispose of the property and apply the proceeds to the costs of storage. If there is any surplus, you must give it to the tenant, or hold it for a year if left unclaimed. After a year, you have to turn it over to the Department of revenue. For the truck, I might post a notice on it to be be moved and then call a tow company to tow it away at the tenant's expense.