When can I apply for US citizenship after obtaining my green card? 3 Answers as of September 05, 2014

I was granted refugee status in September 2011 and got my green card in March 2012. So I am confused by when should I have to apply for the US Citizenship. I heard regarding my case, 1. I can apply after 4 years. So 4 years from my refugee approval (2011+4) or from the green card (2012+4)? 2. I heard, I can even apply 3 to 6 months early is true? Please advise. Thanks a lot.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You have to be a permanent resident for 5 years before being eligible to apply. You became a permanent resident when you got your green card not when the refugee status was granted. So you have to count 5 years from the date of your green card issuance, although you can apply within 90 days of that 5 year anniversary.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/5/2014
Penn Law
Penn Law | Gigi Penn
You can apply for naturalization up to 90 days before five years from the date shown on your green card. There are other eligibility requirements. Check the USCIS website or consult an immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/4/2014
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You can file for citizenship after you have been a permanent resident for five years. Your time spent in the United States as a refugee may be counted toward your permanent residence. You may file 3 months in advance of acquiring five years of permanent residence.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/4/2014
Click to View More Answers: