When can I apply for US citizenship? 3 Answers as of January 17, 2011

On Dec 12-2006 I entered USA through F1 Visa, on Oct-17-2007 got my green card through special immigrant program for the translators, when can I apply for my US citizen? I leave US every 6 months to stay with my family in Iraq for 5 months, so since my green card issued I have 17 months in US. I been working for the US army since 2003 till 2010 as a translator then been a contractor on 2005 and I have a lot of recommendations letter from high rings in US army, is that will help me speed up my time to apply for my US citizen? Got married onApril2009 and I applied for I 130 on Sep18-2009 my case is approved on jan27-2010 and been send to NVC and I paid $400 and $70 fees, then DS-230, with income tax, and then they return my case to the USCIS on Aug-5-2010 for reviewing! Now I need to apply for my Citizen so I can get my wife and my 5 months old child soon!!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Normally you will have to wait for 5 years from the date you got your greencard to apply for citizenship. If you enlist in the US army however youll be able to get your citizenship right away though and your wife and child could come over immediately. If you dont want to join the army youll have to wait till your wifes case becomes current. Right now they are working on cases for I-130s filed 1/1/2008 but just a few months ago they were working on cases filed as recently as August 2010 so you may be able to get your family here even sooner. If you feel your family is in danger because of your work with the Army you can ask for a special visa for them also. Let me know if youre interested in talking more about these options or having us look into her DS-230 processing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/14/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Since your not actually in the US Military you still have to wait the five years from gaining your residency to apply for citizenship.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/11/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You should apply 3 months before your first obtain your green card. Hire a lawyer to present you to avoid complication.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: