When can an heir to a trust expect to see any legal documents? 6 Answers as of August 17, 2011

My mother passed a way 6 weeks ago. As an heir to the trust, when is it reasonable to expect to be given a copy of the trust or any other legal documents? Are there any other documents besides the trust that I am legally permitted to see, & if so, when? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
There is no clear cut time limit as to when documents should be provided to a beneficiary. However, beneficiaries under a trust do have the right to request a copy of the trust, so you may want to consider contacting the attorney that prepared the trust, or contacting the trustee.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/17/2011
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
When in doubt, ask the Trustee to send you a copy. Maybe even ask the Trustee if there is any way you can help. It is reasonable for you to wait a some bit of time while attorneys are consulted and paperwork is drafted, but in many cases the Trustee does not know they should send a copy and they may be in over the head. Asking nicely and offering help can go a long way towards the administration being a pleasant process or at least not a big fight between you and your Trustee.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 8/17/2011
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
Send the trustee a written WRITTEN request for a copy of the trust. Date it. Keep a copy. If you don't get the copy within 30 days, hire a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 8/17/2011
The Schreiber Law Firm
The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
Who is the trustee of the trust? In most states they have to provide notice to the beneficiaries under the trust and make sure all debts of the decedent are paid as part of his, her or its duties.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/16/2011
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
If you feel someone is acting improperly, it is important to seek legal counsel right away.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/16/2011
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    How do you know that you are an heir or beneficiary? You may not be. Without more information, I cannot address your question.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: