When is the best day to turn myself into jail? 17 Answers as of June 19, 2013

I have to do 96 hours sentence for 2nd DUI. I am 70 years old and have to take high blood pressure medication daily. I keep hearing about people getting out in a few hours. I was wondering what days would be the best in order for me to be able to get out the fastest. I will loose my job if I have to serve the 4 days. Thank you for your time in answering. I am very scared of what might happen.

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
There is no predictable " best " time to turn yourself in. If you work a normal 40 hour week, the best time would be Friday after work, then if you do get time off you can go to work on Monday. If not, you are done on Monday and will only be off work one day.
Usually they let you do such a sentence on a sheriff's work detail. Your attorney should have negotiated that and if you didn't have on you made a mistake. Otherwise an actual 4 days jail sentence means 4 days in jail.
Sentences on a second DUI are often broken up into two weekends. This sounds like it would be the most convenient for you.
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
On a Friday before a three-day weekend with Monday the holiday. That way you'll only miss one day of work (sick day), and many times you'll get released early as jails have less staff on holiday weekends.
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
Friday. Preferably before a big weekend.
    Grasso Law Group
    Grasso Law Group | Charles Grasso, Esq.
    Instead of serving time you may be eligible for the Sheriff work program where you would perform 4 days of community service.
    Did you see about work release programs offered by the sheriff?
    If the jails where youwere prosecuted are cutting sentences (like LA) I don't think it makes a difference but I would ask your lawyer (assuming he or she is local) or ask the public defender. I doubt that there is a difference on what day is best but they would be the folks to ask. Meanwhile, for christ sake man, you are 70 years old.
    Todd Landgren, Professional Law Corp.
    Todd Landgren, Professional Law Corp. | Todd Landgren
    Wow! Lots of options! Depends on city or county you are in, how full jail is, what court and judge sentenced you. Need to know those things for good answer. I would check with local attorney, a quick consultation could help. Good luck
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin | Daniel K Martin
    Turn yourself in on a Friday. If you can do it on a three day holiday weekend in the summer.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    Turn yourself in on late Friday. That way, you get the credits for Saturday and Sunday, which are usually non-work days. You can often get the court's permission to serve it as two 48 hours sentences as an alternative.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    If you had an attorney, they should have arranged a surrender date for you at the time of the plea. You should speak with them about turning yourself in.
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas | Thomas Ogas
    Everything depends on what county you are doing time in. Some counties allow for weekend jail terms that range from Friday Sunday (which counts as 3 + 1 days). Some also allow for Sat Sun, or even Saturday only. Your attorney usually works out such arrangements with the court and/or DA.
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    It really depends on the county where you are and their policies. generally, if you turn yourself in and get booked before midnight, that counts as one day. If they start releas procedures for a 2 day sentence they could start those right after midnight. but it depends on the jail. You also have medical concerns and likely want to know when the best medical response is. Many courts allow for alternative sentenecs so older and sick persons do not have to actually go to jail but can do electronic home detention.
    Law Offices of Christopher L. Hoglin, P.C.
    Law Offices of Christopher L. Hoglin, P.C. | Christopher L. Hoglin
    Best time to turn yourself into jail for a 96 hour sentence. I've spoken with many of my colleagues about the best timing to turn yourself in on a short jail sentence (96 hours). In my opinion, the best day to turn yourself in is Friday evening, at 6 PM. If your offense is something like a DUI, the Sheriff's Department (Los Angeles) does not consider your offense as a violent offense. My last client that turned himself in for a 2nd conviction of DUI did it on a Friday night, and he was released 2 hours later.
    If you're in LA, just show up at the time you are supposed to. Chances are you will be let out much sooner than 4 days. Friday is a popular day, so it will be more crowded (more chance for earlier release).
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
    It depends on where. Oftentimes jails are busiest on weekends, i.e., overcrowded, so Fridays sometimes are best, especially if you need to be out by Monday. However, some jails are slower at processing releases on weekends because of fewer staff on duty, which can delay things. I'd probably choose Friday.