When applying for US citizenship, will the US Govt know my marital status? 9 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I am applying for the US Citizenship and i was wondering , do i have to let them know about my marital Status? I got married in 2005 and have been separated, did not Divorce yet. I think it is automatic divorce which is why i did not go through all the paperwork. There are no properties attached. Is it okay to apply as single?

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
If you do that you will be accused of fraud. You need to provide immigration with all the true information.
You must answer each question on the N-400 truthfully. Unless you know for sure that you are legally divorced, you must indicate married. You need to check with the court where the divorce was filed to determined if you are married or divorced.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No it is not. There is no such thing as an automatic divorce. It does not matter if you are separated still list your wife on your application failure to do so is grounds for your application to be denied.
You need to be truthful.
If you're applying for citizenship, you need to answer all questions on the N-400 truthfully, including any concerned with your marital status.
    I am not aware of any state which does an automatic divorce-no problem putting married or talk to a Family Law attorney and get the divorce done so you can say divorced.
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    When the USCIS asks a direct question, you must give a truthful answer. That's not just the right thing to do, it is the law. When you become a US citizen, you will swear to abide by the law.

Find out if you are divorced. Ask at the court where your wife is living.
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
    Yes, you must provide accurate marital information on your Naturalization Application. Otherwise your application can be denied for providing false testimony. If you are in the process of divorce, but it is not yet final, then you are still married and cannot list yourself as divorced. You can only list yourself as single if you have never been married. If you have been previously married, details of all prior marriages must be provided and documentation relative to the termination of these marriages may be requested at the time of your interview.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    Tell the truth. Tell you are legally married, and are separated. You did not get divorced by doing nothing. You get a divorce by first filing some paper with the family court and getting a judge to issue a judgment. Beside, if you lie in your naturalization application, your application could be denied.