When an illegal immigrant applies for food stamps, will it affect his ability to become a permanent resident? 5 Answers as of January 31, 2011

I am a U.S. Citizen and my husband is an illegal immigrant I just applied for food stamps and I wanted to know if it will affect my husband in the future when he tries to become a permanent resident?

At the time you apply for him you must show he will not be a public charge. If your income is not sufficient you will need to obtain a co-sponsor. Food stamps is an indication you may not have the means to support him by yourself but would not mean an automatic denial if the co-sponsor's income is enough.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
While it may not affect your husband directly, you as the Petitioner may be affected when proving your ability to sponsor him in the affidavit of support.
If you are a public charge. You will probably fail to prove that you can prevent your husband from being public charge, his green card might be denied.
No, the fact that you've received a government benefit such as Food Stamps will not be your husband's problem when you attempt to regularize his immigration status. His problem will be his current illegal status which could make him subject to removal proceedings and a 10 year bar from reentry into the country.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
You may be entitled to the food stamps, but your husband is not. This will not affect him personally regarding his own qualification. However, it may affect your ability to file an affidavit of support on his behalf if you do not earn 125% over the poverty line. (This is just in case you are filing some paper for him based on your relationship).