Whats the punishment for a person dealing with a first offense of domestic abuse battery charge? 1 Answers as of May 16, 2011

My boyfriend bust my lip on march26,2011 and was arrested. I told his attorney I wanted to drop the charges. Yesterday made 45days he's been in there and yesterday they accepted the case what are the consequences for first time offense for domestic abuse battery?

Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
Once law enforcement become involved in domestic disputes, it is generally no longer possible to 'drop the charges' against the defendant. This is because domestic violence is a crime against the state and the victim becomes merely a witness for the state. Since the charges have been accepted you can expect that the matter will likely go to trial. The penalties for first conviction domestic abuse battery are: Fines of $300-$1000 Jail time of 10 days - 6 months There are provisions allowing for the suspension of a sentence in return for probation in some instances.