What’s going to happen? Will shoplifting be permanently on my record? 2 Answers as of September 03, 2017

I was caught shoplifting (about $40) at a local store by the LP. They took my information and called my parent, then a few weeks later, sent a civil demand letter. We paid it completely within a month, and the LP told my mother that as long as it's paid, this case will not go any further and It will not be on my record. However, today I received a court summons set for less than two weeks from now.

Don't know what an LP is but the civil demand fee is separate and apart from any criminal charge. There is no guarantee that by paying it the police will still not be contacted as apparently the case with you. You should contact an attorney immediately which you should have done in the first place. He or she should try whatever possible to avoid a conviction as a theft conviction on your record is very detrimental to your future.
Don't confuse the civil case between you and the store with the criminal case in court between you and the state. Signing the papers was foolish enough, and paying the civil demand will make you look even more guilty. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted it will really hurt your school/employment aspirations. You should talk to a lawyer, who may be able to work out a deal with the Judge whereby you can earn yourself a dismissal.