What’s the chance my boyfriend will lose his license for a drug possession and paraphernalia ticket in a motor vehicle? 6 Answers as of October 22, 2012

He had a small amount on him and was not driving at the time he was parked at a gas station. This would be his first offense for him.

Fairly good.
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
The State of Florida does not usually seek a conviction on a first time offense like this. A conviction would be an automatic suspension of the license for 2 years. Get a private attorney.
Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
Thank you for contacting my office for answers to your questions. Please understand that my responses are general in nature and the law often focuses on specific facts. Before making any legal decisions, you should go over all the facts and specific circumstances of your situation with a lawyer. Additionally, my responses do not create an attorney-client relationship. Your comments to me are confidential and I cannot repeat them. However, I am not representing you on this matter, unless we later establish a formal attorney-client relationship. Now to provide a response to your question. Your boyfriend is looking at a misdemeanor charge of promoting a detrimental drug. That carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail. He will not likely get sentenced to jail unless he has previous convictions, especially if they are drug related. There are several legal mechanisms that will allow him to keep this conviction off his record. This is a significant opportunity he should not pass up. You will need a lawyer to have the best chance to keep the conviction off your record and know all the rights and problems with this course of action.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
First offense drug possession results in license suspension. So, he need to retain an attorney.
In Michigan if convicted of drugs your license gets suspended and there is no way around that.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C. | Steven Fairlie
    He will lose his license unless he beats the case, pleads guilty to paraphernalia, or gets a section 17 disposition.