What would happen if I share a credit card with my daughter? 10 Answers as of May 28, 2015

My daughter is 26 and uses a visa card linked to my account. We have been having a lot of financial trouble recently so she does not use it very often only for emergencies, but the card still has her name on it. I have about $100,000 in debt and I do not see myself paying it off anytime soon. If I file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy will my daughter be affected? She has her own home and lives in a different state.

If she uses your card, she will likely be liable for that debt even if you file bankruptcy.
Get a complete copy of the credit card file, and pay an experienced lawyer to look at this file with you and/or your daughter. You or your daughter will have to pay for the advice, but you want to go into this with your eyes wide open!
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
If the visa account is really in both names, that is if you and she are both responsible parties, then she would remain obligated to pay the account in full even if you choose to file a bankruptcy case. If one or the other of you is only a card holder/signer but not a responsible party, then the answer would change.
It depends on whether or not she is an "authorized user" or a co-signer. If she is just an authorized user it will not affect her. If she is a co-signer they will hold her liable for the account.
She is only affected by cards that you are both attached to. You should try to remove your name prior to you filing or to pay the card down then close the account so she is not affected.
    If your daughter is liable on your card, then she'll be solely responsible for paying it off when you file bankruptcy. If you daughter is just and authorized user but not liable, then she won't be impacted by your bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    What ever the balance on that card she will be responsible for.
    See an attorney, if she is a co-debtor she could be liable for the entire amount. Need details and you need counsel.
    She stands to be affected if she is a co-signer or guarantor on the card (rather than a mere authorized user). In such case the creditor can seek to collect from her. Retain a good bankruptcy lawyer and discuss all the facts with her or him. Good Luck.
    A card linked to an account is often a debit card, not a credit card. Debit cards do not usually require credit since it is your money that is being used to pay for each transaction. If this is a credit account, whether your bankruptcy will affect your daughter will depend on if she is jointly on the account or is only an authorized user. If she is on the account, she will have the burden of paying the entire balance after your bankruptcy, but if she is only an authorized user, there will be no repercussions. I have found it is unwise to assume about the nature of accounts and would be asking the bank some questions to clarify the situation.