What would happen if I lose or leave my job since it has been paying all my medical bills? 13 Answers as of January 09, 2013

I was hurt in a fight at school with student and outside parent. I went to the doctor and I was told I had a back sprain. I have been suffering with my back for a while. My job has been paying all bills.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
If you were an employee of the school, the school is still responsible for your medical bills that are related to the accident.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 1/9/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Sue the parent and the student. Make a police report and push the criminal case. Since the injury occurred on the job, it is a workers compensation case. Get a company lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/23/2012
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
Speak to the department that handles health insurance at the school. You will be given COBRA rights, which typically allow you to continue your insurance for 12-18 months, but you have to pay the premiums. Usually this is less than if you try to go out and buy insurance on your own, particularly with the existing injury. You can Google COBRA rights and learn how the process works.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/14/2012
Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP
Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP | Kevin Habberfield
You'll continue to receive worker's compensation even after you leave the job for all fight related injuries. Talk to your comp adjuster about it. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/13/2012
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
I sounds like a worker's compensation case and claim. If so, the coverage continues whether you are working or not. How long into the future depends on the state law covering your claim.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 11/13/2012
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Assuming you're injury is covered under Iowa's workers' compensation insurance your medical bills related to the injury will remain being covered so long as you continue to do as your doctor advises. Medical bills unrelated to the work injury will only be covered if you maintain health insurance coverage under the relevant COBRA program.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 11/12/2012
    Law Offices of A. J. Mitchell, LLC
    Law Offices of A. J. Mitchell, LLC | A. J. Mitchell
    Your creditors most likely would be unsympathetic to your plight. As a last resort, you may consider a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, assuming you qualify.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 11/12/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney