what is the worst thing a state trooper can do about an oomp carded person smoking in the car? 2 Answers as of June 20, 2011

My boyfriend who has his ommp card was smoking in the car I was in the car with him and so was our 5month old. A state trooper stopped where we where and told us that our daughter was going to be taken. He looked at all of the things that we had in the car and told us that he was going to turn a report into DHS I want to know what is the worst thing that can happen.

Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
The worse, well you could lose your child and end up in jail on a criminal endangerment charge regarding your child.
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
The worst thing that can happen is DHS can take your kid away, but it is doubtful that anything that drastic would happen, especially if DHS has had no prior involvement in your lives. One problem you have is that if was smoking in the car, that could be considered to be a "public place" (depending on how openly he was smoking, I suppose). Cardholders still can't smoke pot in public and can be prosecuted for possession if they do so. Still if he is otherwise legal, DHS likely has better things to be concerned about.