What will my insurance company offer me in regards to my medical bill? 3 Answers as of August 06, 2015

If I have a $20,000 hospital bill and Medi-cal paid for it, but it was reduced and only had to pay $1,000. What will my insurance company, under UIM, offer me in regards to this bill?

Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
This is a tough question to answer without knowing about your injuries. I am assuming that you have UIM coverage. Generally when Med-Cal makes payments, your bills paid by Medi-Cal is deemed to be the actual expense under the new California Supreme Court Case of Howell. It is important for you to get a good personal injury lawyer to get the right results. You will need to develop your claim to get maximum recovery under UIM.
Almost every day we get a request for evaluation of a claim. We cannot respond to such a request, as there are simply too many elements to be considered. These include percentage of fault, age and health and background of the claimant, the nature of the injury, the treatment, the diagnosis, the prognosis, the cost of the treatment, and the outcome. Also to be taken into account in some cases are the amount and type of insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. Most attorneys offer a free conference. We suggest that you talk to a few lawyers. Also, you should know that an independent study showed that claimants did better, even after fees, with a lawyer than without.
Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata
Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata | Stan Lopata
From the facts listed there is no way to answer your question. An offer from an insurance company is based on the nature and extent of your injuries, the permanence of your disabilities, your loss of income because your injuries prevented you from working, your pain and suffering, the liability of the uninsured/underinsured responsible for the accident, etc. You can be certain that your insurance company will be primarily interested in saving itself money and will offer you less than you might be entitled. With large medical bills you really should consider discussing your situation with a personal injury attorney before accepting any offer. Do not attempt to represent yourself to save on attorney fees. Your settlement results using a competent attorney will be much greater than the cost of that attorney.