What will my first drug test on probation be like? 9 Answers as of July 01, 2013

I was arrested for possession of under 50 grams of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. I was a pretty heavy smoker for a few months, but have only done it a handful of times since I was arrested. It's hard to give up cold turkey, but I'm getting better. I heard that marijuana can stay in your system for a long time. I have no plans on smoking anything when I am actually on probation, however, I still have another month before my second court date. Will I be violated for something I did before I was even sentenced? Am I doomed before I even went to court? Please help!

It stays in your system for about a month. STOP SMOKING NOW.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Anything occurring before you were placed on probation will not violate that probation. Some believe marijuana will remain in body tissue for extended periods of time however that does not include blood which is what the test will be of. Marijuana remains in the blood for no more than 72 hours after ingesting it.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Nobody can guarantee what the outcome will be.
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser | Jacob R. Lauser
Generally after last use, the THC/CR value decreases by half every 2 to 10 days (depending on the individual 2 days for the occasional user, 10 days for the chronic user). A small increase of the THC/CR value is possible if the time between collections is too short. Therefore, a reasonable time between collections to ascertain non use would be approximately 3-7 days. Keep in mind that most drug tests don't look for the drug, they look for the metabolite of the drug, meaning that they look for the chemical evidence that your body is breaking the drug down into other elements. If you stop now, your drug results will probably reflect a lesser amount of THC metabolites in your urine that shows you are no longer smoking. If they do a hair, fingernail, blood, or fat test (uncommon), there might be more sensitive results that still show the drug in your system for many months, but these are unlikely. In short, it could take up to 6 weeks for the drug to leave your system on most tests, but if you are concerned that your chronic/habitual use (no pun intended) is going to show up still, you can request a couple of tests a 3-7 days apart to show that you are off the drug and your levels are going down. A month (if you quit now) should be enough time for the levels to go way down in time for a test. Just be up front with them and explaining that you were an habitual user and that you are concerned it might take up to 6-8 weeks for the drug to completely leave your system, but that you want to cooperate fully in showing them you are not smoking or consuming.
You may be. What were the pre-trial conditions that the judge imposed upon you at arraignment? I am sure law abiding behavior and abstinence from alcohol and non prescribed drugs were conditions that the judge imposed. If so, you could be in trouble. The judge could put you in jail until your case is heard.
    30 days. They will measure what they find in your system. You will be violated, because you continue to smoke even after you have been arrested, but it will not be the first time you are tested.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    If you were arrested for such a small amount, you can argue that at most you should face a violation (like a traffic ticket) and that no probation is appropriate. Regardless, however, you would be wise to stop smoking now because if not you will fail drug tests. If you are over 21 have a cocktail instead. It is less healthy than marijuana but it is legal.
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC | Joseph E. Lariscy, III
    DO NOT smoke any more marijuana. If it is in your system, it would be considered in a drug screen. Abstain from use immediately, or you may find yourself in violation of your probation.
    I would suspect that a condition of you bail is no illicit drug use, if you are tested today you will be jailed. Stop it!