What will likely happen if I got my first DUI? Do I need a lawyer? 16 Answers as of April 18, 2013

I am being charged with my first DUI. I have a clean record, nothing but speeding tickets.

Yes you need a lawyer. Can you tell if the stop was valid? Can you tell if they have some problem with the evidence? Do you know if there are any alternatives to conviction for a first time offender? Yes you need a lawyer.
Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
If you are charged with your first DUI - you should definitely hire an experienced DUI lawyer. There are hundreds of ways to fight a DUI case - make sure your rights are protected. This is not the time to be cheap - DUI convictions can have lifetime consequences.
Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
A DUI has two separate actions, a DMV component and court component. You need representation for both. You will be up agains people who know the law and how to prosecute you. Why put yourself at a disadvantage- remember just because you are accused of a crime, in this case DUI, doesn't mean that you don't have defenses PLUS its the governments burden to prove the case, not vis versa. Spend the money to retain competent counsel.
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
You get what you pay for; It is always better to have a lawyer, if you can afford it.l The police don't always follow the right procedures in processing an ovi.
You do need an attorney.
    The Law Office of M Grater LLC
    The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
    If you know what to do you won't need a lawyer. In general I don't recommend it.
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    Yes. U would be wise to get a lawyer.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Yes, you need a lawyer. Most first time DUIs are class A misdemeanors, punishable up to 364 days in jail, a $2,500 fine and license revocation. The rest are felony cases.
    A First time DUI usually has a potential months jail sentence of 96 hours to 6, at least 48 hours of which must be continuance In addition, there is a 4 to 6 months license suspension, but you may be eligible for a restricted license (to and from school and/or work). If your blood alcohol level is above .20 then there is a 10 month restriction, as well as other enhancements for excessive alcohol. Fines from $390 to $1,000 plus penalty assessments and court costs which beings to the total to about $2,000.00. Your car may be impounded for up to 6 months. Up to 3 year optional ignition interlock device installed on your car. Depending on the County where the arrest occurred, generally a 1st time DUI offender, with a good attorney, will do little, if any, jail time. However, the defendant will need to jump through some hoops and will be on informal probation from 3 to 5 years. The courts usually order that the defendant pay a fine and penalty assessments which amounts to approximately $1,800.00 plus various other court costs and fees, and either community service or community labor. In addition the defendant must enroll and complete a DUI program. Some courts also require that the defendant participate in a HAM (Hospital and Morgue) Program, MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) Program and have their license suspended. Some courts also require an interlocking device be placed on the Defendant's car, although they can, and sometimes do, defer this to DMV. Since there is a potential jail sentence, I suggest that you hire an attorney.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Yes you need a Lawyer. The penalties are harsh including jail time, license suspension and ignition interlock.
    You need a lawyer in any DUI case. What will be the outcome will depend on the State where you got the offense, as penalties vary from state to state. I would guess you would be eligible for a probationary type of sentence, with counselling.