What will it cost me to patent my idea? 6 Answers as of July 07, 2011

I need to find investors who will help me accomplish my goal. I can't ask people for money without a dollar amount. What will it cost to patent my idea?

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
This is the most common questions and commonly misunderstood aspects to patents. Every case if unique and the price is dependent on the amount of work involved. there is no off the shelf patent. However, depending on the type of patent (utility vs. design/ provisional vs. non-provisional) the cost should range from 1k to under 10k with most utility non-provisional patents for very simple mechanical devices (US only) being under 7.5k. Good luck.
DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
You should obtain from a patent attorney an estimate to search, evaluate and prepare a patent application on the invention, and an estimate to have the application examined through granting. Estimates for filing the application could range from $2,500 (uncomplicated invention) to $15,000 (complex invention), and for examination, from $2500 and up, depending on how the examination goes.
Law Offices of Robert S. Smith
Law Offices of Robert S. Smith | Robert S. Smith
An evaluation as to the patentability of the idea must first be made. If, for example the exact same thing has been done somewhere in the world, particularly more than a year before you, it is unlikely that you will ever be able to get a patent no matter how much you spend. Once having determined that there is a reasonable basis to believe that there is a reasonable chance of getting a patent, the cost will be dependent in part on the complexity to prepare the application. The cost will also vary with the difficulty of overcoming any arguments made by the USPTO. The minimum USPTO fees for the application and the issue fees total about $1500. The simplest application will often require a minimum of $2000 to prepare and this does not include the cost of responding to arguments that may be raised by the USPTO.
Rhema Law Group
Rhema Law Group | John D. Tran
Patenting an invention is an involved process and the fees and costs are dependent on numerous factors such as the complexity of the invention and the amount of prior art existing. I highly recommend you setting up a meeting with a patent attorney to have him/her answer your questions since its very important that your patent application is drafted properly.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
There is no way to know without understanding in detail you invention. Further, you cannot patent a mere idea. You patent an invention. This requires quite bit of work and planning. Some people will tell you that you can get a patent for a few thousand dollars but it is not that easy or cheap. You Need to work closely with an Ip lawyer in order to develop a realistic cost estimate.
    Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC
    Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC | Deepak Malhotra
    I have rough price estimates for different types of technology on my website. Just click on the Price Estimate tab.