What will I happen if I miss a court date? 13 Answers as of August 19, 2013

I have a misdemeanor charge for shoplifting my court date was last week and I accidentally missed it. I'm not sure if there is a warrant out for my arrest, I can't afford to go to jail because I'm a full time student and I paying my own way through college. I'm not sure where to go with this at this point.

Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
If this happened in Illinois there is probably a warrant for your arrest.
You have to go to the court ASAP and explain. They will probably set a new court date.
A warrant is most definitely issued. I would suggest that you contact the court clerk, tell them what happened. Most likely, the court will give you a new court date and recall the warrant.
Ellis & Abouelsood | John Danelon
You likely have a bench warrant entered against you for your arrest. It would be best to retain counsel to make a special appearance to try and resolve this situation, otherwise you could be arrested at any time.
There likely is a bench warrant out for your arrest. You either need to turn yourself in or contact the court clerk to be placed on the calendar to address the matter. The longer you delay doing nothing, the better your chance in seeing jail time.
    You likely have a warrant and a new charge of failure to appear. Best to get a lawyer since it won't cost you much and will perhaps have the matter dismissed.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    Contact the Court Administrator to find out whether the court will schedule a new court date. You may also need to talk with the prosecutor to obtain the same permission.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    Yes, most likely there will be a warrant issued. I the case was not filed by the court date it is possible that no warrant was issued. Check with the court to see what happened on your court date. If a warrant was issued, place yourself on the court calendar (you will be given a future date) to recall the warrant and proceed with the case. On the new date you will need to explain why you missed your first date.
    Law Office of Andrew Gable | Andrew Gable
    A lawyer can check to see if you have a warrant. If so, he can motion up the case for you to show up. You may then be able to have this case dismissed.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    If you missed a court date, I guarantee you that a bench warrant for your arrest was issued by the Judge. You need to retain an attorney and have them file a Motion to Recall the Warrant and schedule a hearing at which time you will turn yourself in. The Judge will then decide whether to set a bond, release you on your own recognizance or hold you. Most likely will set a minimal bond.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Need to get case back on court calendar.
    A lawyer can do this without you present, so it is less risky for you. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    There is a warrant, and you will be going to jail. You can turn yourself in, or you can retain an attorney.