What will I get if I was caught shoplifting 200 worth of items? 9 Answers as of March 04, 2014

The police were called and were going to take me to the police station. But got another call and let me go they have all my details. This is my first ever offence will they still charge me and what will happen?

Shoplift is punishable by a maximum of one year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. How much jail time or fine you get is ultimately up to the judge. A first offense generally does not result in jail time, however, you still have the conviction on your record which you are required toi disclose on job applications and, if you are going to college, a criminal conviction limits your ability to get federal aid. Overall, not a good thing.
In Washington, you committed Theft 3rd; it has a sentencing range of 364 days in jail and $5,000 fine. Since this is your first offense, you will likely be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations, and be on probation for one year. You will also have to pay a civil fine to the store. If there is a diversion program take it.
You are looking at a criminal conviction that will remain on your record for life. We normally get the matter dismissed so no conviction.
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
The police could still charge you. The prosecutor has up to 1 year from the date of the incident to file charges against you for shoplifting. The maximum penalty in Missouri for misdemeanor (under $500) shoplifting is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000.
This should be your last ever offense. They will probably charge. If charged you should get a lawyer and plead NOT guilty. (The reason for this is that you give up all bargaining power by pleading guilty.) Even if you are guilty. The lawyer may be able to work out a deal where you end up with no criminal conviction on your record. This is huge since these records are FOREVER. What employer wants to hire a thief?
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    You may still be charged, but there's no way to know for sure. Whatever you do, DO NOT call the police or the DA to ask about the case. You need to just wait and see. It would be wise for you to contact a good local criminal defense lawyer in case you get charged. Also, DO NOT talk to the police if they call you or come by to ask questions. Exercise your right to remain silent.
    You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    Shoplifting items of a value of less than $950.00 is petty theft. The first three times a person is convicted of petty theft it is a misdemeanor. However, if the amount stolen is worth $50.00 or less it may be charged as an infraction. If you have three or more priors for petty theft, the next one can be a felony or a misdemeanor. Infractions are punished by a fine. Misdemeanors are punished by up to one year in the county jail and/or up to a $1,000.00 fine. Felonies are punished by sixteen months, two years, or three years in state prison. The normal punishment for first time petty theft is three years summary probation, a fine, community service, theft classes, and restitution to the victim.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Ask for diversion.